Sunday, December 28, 2008

let's take stock...stock in what?.......chicken works >

Really stocks are easy, and one of the best investments in your kitchen. I'll present a pictorial walk through of the basics of a stock. I chose chicken, simply because I can get 3lbs of chicken backs for less the 3 $$....point being, lots of dark meat connected to bone, which equals lots of good, rich flavor.
.
Photobucket
.
I took said chicken bits and set them under the broiler for a bit, to get them browned.....get the juices flowing...
.Photobucket
.
I then take a basic bit of veg, standard to most any stock....carrots, celery, onion, garlic, and sage this time...adjust as needed..or to taste..whatever fits your needs or tastes...
.Photobucket
.
lets break that down...it doesn't need to be neat or uniform...but I feel the greater the surface area, the better the flavor.
.Photobucket
.
now...basically throw everything into a stock pot, cover with water, bring to boil, back off to simmer and let it simmer for a few hours.....
.Photobucket
.
now...this bit differs from person to person...but I'll let it cool and set in the fridge overnight, then bring to a boil once again the next night. I'll then strain and put in usable containers. After it's in the fridge, it'll stay good for a few weeks with the fat on top, but less than two, if you skim the fat off, but will last several months if frozen right away. It's an easy way to get several weeks of stock, and a right tasty chicken sandwich to boot.
.
Cheers and enjoy......we'll play with goat cheese next time... :)greg

No comments: