Thursday, January 29, 2009

plagues of black, dreams of green, and Flat Reto >>

Not much to tell of late. I've been sick lately, and Stacey has pneumonia, so little has been note worthy. The plague has been sated by a few shots from the doctor, and a good deal of NyQuil each night, and the green sleep that follows is a welcomed retreat from the pain. Flat Reto did arrive today, and I hope to take some entertaining pics over the next week to celebrate his stay with me.
Flat Reto is explained further here

http://flatretoproject.blogspot.com/
.
I have so many projects on the table, that they have become almost a bore, or even worse, a job. I never intended to have a hobby become a chore, so I've stepped back and resumed another project. I designed (granted, a very basic design) several knives. I looked over the blanks I had cut, and chose to keep working on my pseudo-clever. I made it like this to mimic a cleaver, and also a Japanese Tosagata Santoku. It's a combination of shapes I liked in two knives, and I combined that in to one knife. I doubt I'll try and finish any of the others I have, or I'll have them re-cut in a softer steel. These are a 400 series stainless (if I recall, I'll have to ask Craig to clarify), and that is way too hard for me to sharpen here, and it's also 1/8 thick. That might not sound like much, till you go to trimming it down, you find out how thick it really is. I hope to try it again soon, and in a softer steel. I might even try some other styles. The handle is just rough cut pine with a brass ferrel for now.

Anyway, a pic to show some sort of activity.
Cheers and enjoy,
greg

.
Photobucket

No comments: